Perils and injuries are quite common occurrences when working under your car. Pinched fingers, skin burns, busted knuckles are examples of this. On the other hand, there is also a high risk of acquiring a more serious damage when carelessness sits in with you. Knowing the best jack stand in the market will keep you from prospective harm and ensure your well-being.
Why do you need a jack stand?
Car jack stands are specifically used when you have to repair something underneath your vehicle. By providing support to your vehicle off the ground, jack stand serves as the primary requirement when you need to take off and change your wheels, as well as fix your vehicle’s break.
It suspends your car a few feet above the ground, thus providing you the space you need to move through. Using a jack stand when working underneath your car will give you the following benefits.
- Provides a sturdy structural support while your car is suspended in mid-air
- Allows you to freely and easily curve your elbows and utilize your arms when installing or removing car components.
- Protects your car from acquiring unnecessary damages due from inadequate tools
- Makes work on car engines and transmission easier
- Increase safety from unwanted accidents such as falling vehicles
Some articles endorse a do-it-yourself version of jack stands such as milk crates can and hollow and cinder blocks. Though the authors of these write-ups swear that their methods using these DIY tools worked, these things, however, are not sturdy and you wouldn’t want to place yourself on the fingertip of unwanted incidents and danger.
Cinder blocks and milk crates may be employed as a substitute; however, these are not good ideas as it cannot support the weight of your vehicle properly. Chances are you will have a car falling on you, and you will end up having broken ribs. These are precisely the reason why jack stand was introduced to the market.
What are the types of jack stand ?
Unlike other products, jack stand does not offer a variety of options. However, before purchasing one, you ought to understand that the materials that composed them have the power to make a difference.
Basically, jack stands that are made of aluminum or light steel are often small, sleek and lightweight. On the other hand, jack stands that are meant for heavy vehicles such as a 10-wheeler truck are normally made of steel and cast iron.
When shopping jack stands in the market, you will see only two types of these. These are the following:
1. Fixed Height Jack Stand
As its name indicates, this type of jack stand offers a fixed height. Though it cannot be adjusted unlike the latter, an advantage of this is a guarantee that all the components in this tool will be securely held in place. These stands are sturdy, durable, and exceptionally reliable.
2. Adjustable Height Jack Stand
Contrary to the former, this type of jack stand gives you the option to move and adjust its height based on your preferences and need. The most usual type of adjustable height stand is a tripod style, where the notched center column is primarily utilized in adjusting the height.
Another type of this is known as the rotation stand. To raise its height, all you need to do is to turn the center column clockwise; on the other hand, you can easily lower it by turning it counterclockwise.
Remember that fixed height jack stand functions best when used in a singular location with the identical vehicle. Adjustable height jack stand, on the other hand, offers more flexibility but maybe inconvenient because of its size and weight. Prices, on the other hand, range from $18.33 to $180.
What are the factors you should consider when buying a jack stand?
When choosing what type of jack stand to buy, you should consider the materials that make up the product. Go for a car jack stand that is made of either steel or aluminum. You should not work under your car using only a hydraulic jack under any circumstances, as it could prove itself detrimental.
Added to these, you should also consider the stands carrying capacity. Remember to leave an allowance based on the weight of your car. For instance, if your car weighs 2.5 tons, you should choose a jack stand that can carry at least 3 tons. To give you some visualization, below is a brief jack stand comparison chart that can serve as your guide when purchasing one.
When buying a jack stand, bear in mind that aluminum jacks are primarily designed for small and lightweight car. On the other hand, if you own trucks, the best option you have are those made of steel or cast iron.
Top Rated Jack Stands
1. Torin T43002A 3 Ton Double Locking Jack Stands
- Made up of high-grade steel that boasts its excellent quality and guarantees maximum durability
- Has patent double-lock technology coupled with safety pin design for further and security when working underneath the car
- Has a single piece self-locking multi-position forged iron ratchet bar that offers unerring adjustment
- Has large saddle surface area for better and easier contact with all the loads that the jack stands support
- Equipped with locking rack and pawl for better stability
- Support range is 11-1/4 in. to 16-3/4 in
- Meets ASME PALD standards
- Has issues with its welding – either the welding discontinuous or have holes in them.
- Wobbly stand due to unequal length of its legs
- Some pins do not fit its designated shack
- Wastes too much space between the seat of the ratchet and the bottom of the vehicle’s jack-position.
2. Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand
- Made up of the most steadfast gears in the market
- Has patented design that combines both jack stand and bottle jack all in the same unit
- Has safety bar locks unit that you can set at the desired height
- Has a wide steel base for stability under load
- Height range covers 11 inches to 21 inches
- Equipped with a Powerbuilt that can be utilized for heavy lifting
- User-friendly, simple, and best of all hassle free
- Has a very concrete base which prevents this jack stand from wavering
- Extremely useful, portable, and has a very great price
- Most suitable for SUV’s and all off-road vehicles
- Too heavy and may prove difficult and awkward to maneuver
- Release valve requires precisely 1.5 to 2 turns in order to release the pressure
- Not compatible with spare tire extension kit
3. Camco 44561 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand – 2 Pack
- Lightweight and portable, weighting only 3.5 pounds
- Offers secure and level RV stability and positioning
- Made up of cast aluminum
- Very adjustable from 11 inches to 17 inches
- Concrete, very stable, high-quality, and incredibly easy to use
- These jack stands have very sharp edges
- Cannot extend high enough to support a camper van
- Has a looser quality compared to other jack stands being offered in the market
- May need DIY improvisation strategy to make it work well such as pairing it with woods to support its wobbly legs
4. Sumner ST 881 Hi Fold-a-Jack with V Head
- This car jack stand has 2500 pound capacity
- Has a foldable feature that makes storage easier
- Has a quick action Lock washer for speedy height positioning and patented fall guard for 1 inch extra safety zone around the lock washer
- Equipped with 1 inch square tube base construction to make it sturdier
- With a set screw that you can use to lock jack head and make it stand for ease of transport
- This jack stands guarantees that there will absolutely be no loose pieces for you
- Comes with a warranty
- Very durable and capable of holding anything you put on the securely
- Smooth transaction with the manufacturer
- Comes with easily understandable manual
- Compatible with almost anything
- Very affordable and works perfectly with rig welders, unlike other jack stands
- Requires 2 more jack stands to make it work properly
- Some edges of this jack stands are sharp
5. Omega 32225B Black Heavy Duty Jack Stand – 22 Ton Capacity
- Comes with heavy duty holding pins to be used when adjusting its height
- Equipped with a massive saddle to securely support the vehicle’s weight and load
- Saddle size is 3-1/7 x 2-3/4 inches
- Very sturdy, solid, and made up of steel with top notch welding features
- Has a height range that covers 13-1/3 inches to 19-2/3 inches
- The pinholes of this jack stand are accurately shaped and spaced
- Powerful – can even repair an M1 Abrams Tank
- Compatible with almost any vehicles
- Costly and definitely higher than other jack stands
Jack stands are used to ensure that the weight of your vehicle is supported when you lift it in mid-air. This way, you can have a sufficient amount of space while you work underneath your car.
Of all the products reviewed above, Omega 32225B Black Heavy Duty Jack Stand – 22 Ton Capacity stood out and proved itself most promising. Although a bit expensive than the other brand, this jack stand is definitely sturdier, more reliable, durable and safer than the others.
Its concrete wielding and steel features are combined with heavy duty frames and prevent any twisting and wobbling incidents that were noted in other car jack stands. Added to this, its massive saddle and adjustable attributes offer readily convenience for you by providing a space where you can place your load.
With Omega 32225B Black Heavy Duty Jack Stand – 22 Ton Capacity, you can easily and usefully twist and curve your arms and elbows when working on your car components underneath your vehicle.
Because this jack stand can easily lift your car above the ground, taking and changing your wheels, fixing your break and all the other works that your vehicle requires can easily be accomplished.
Did you find this article helpful? Shoot us your feedback in the comment section. We would love to hear from you.