Airbags are meant to provide safety in cases of collision. It prevents the driver and passenger from injuries such as head and neck injuries during accidents. The airbag system was installed for a purpose so vehicle owners should not disable them.
However, there are instances wherein you need to know how to disable airbag system.
In 1997, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a rule to allow car manufacturers to install low-powered airbags. In 1998, vehicle owners can also get authorization from the NHTSA to get on and off switches for the airbags.
How Does the Airbag System Work?
An airbag is also known as a supplementary restraint system (SRS) or supplementary inflatable restraint (SIR). As the name suggests, it helps protect you but should be used in conjunction with a seatbelt. Here are the steps on how the airbag system deploys:
- When a car bumps into something, it decelerates very quickly.
- The accelerometer detects the change in speed.
- When the deceleration is abrupt, the accelerometer then triggers the airbag circuit.
- The circuit goes through an electric current into a heating element.
- The heat, along with harmless gas, makes the airbag expand.
- The airbag is coated with talcum powder so it will smoothly unwrap and blows off the plastic cover and inflates.
- When the driver pushes against the airbag, the bag deflates by letting air escape against small holes. The airbag should have fully deflated once the car stops. Therefore, the driver is safe from the impact but the airbag does not suffocate him.
Reasons Why We Need to Disable Airbag System
The only main reason why you would need to disable the airbag system is when it is a danger to the passenger or driver. There are other reasons why there is a need to disable the airbag system in your car. Here are the provisions approved by the NHTSA:
Factors to Consider Before Disabling the Airbag System
Having a switch that allows you to temporarily disable the airbag system is very convenient; however, the process to obtain an authorization is tasking. No auto shop will fulfill your request if you don’t have the proper authorization.
The alternative is to learn how to disable airbag system by yourself.
However, should there be a need to enable it for other passengers or drivers would require effort for you. If you would frequently need to disable the airbag system, then it would be best to secure authorization and get an on and off switch installed properly.
Steps on How to Disable Airbag System
What To Do
If you are installing new airbags, make sure that you remember the exact steps that you took and work backwards. Once everything is in place, test if the airbag system is working. The airbag light should turn off when someone is on the seat and the engine is turned on.
What are your thoughts on the above? Remember, if you are not an expert on cars, it is best to have a professional mechanic do the above steps to prevent harm or damage.
Please share with us your feedback based on the article. We would love to hear your comments and if you have additional tips for us. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends.