We all know that when a sullen haze from rain or fog or snow began wrapping the Earth, fog light is, without any hinge of doubt, the driver’s best companion.
By casting a wide stream of light across the road, fog lights provide a better and clearer view of the area directly in front of your car, thus making driving easier and safer in these kinds of situation.
Aside from this, fog lights are also tactically designed to hurl light below your vehicle. This is to ensure that the light coming from it does not reflect in your eyes and encumber you on your journey.
The knowledge of how to turn on fog lights may come in handy. Additionally, you can also use your car’s fog lights to heighten your vision in an otherwise grueling driving situation.
On the other hand, fog lights should not be constantly used. It requires a tremendous amount of electric energy from your battery and it can also blind the other drivers. To know more about its nature and how best to maximize it, read on!
Things To Know About Fog Lights
There are relevant features you should always bear in mind regarding the attributes of your vehicles. Automatic cars often come with Automatic Light Off Feature which instantly shut off all lighting in your car 15 to 20 seconds after you turn off the ignition of your vehicle.
These include the headlights, parking lights, side marker lights, tail lights, license plate lights as well as instrument panel lights.
Switching the fog lights on is quite easy, but may vary depending on the model of your car. Some cars do not have a built-in fog light. It will be best to consult your manual if yours have an integrated one.
Since fog lights are directly connected to your primary headlight system, you can easily use it by turning on the latter.
You need to ensure that your headlights are on low beam to make your fog lights works. There is an inner ring situated near the turn signal lever, and turning on your fog lights simply requires pressing the inner ring.
This method generally works with various vehicles; however, some cars may require an alternative way to turn it on.
For this article, I have written the ways to turn on fog lights of all cars in general. You must remember, however, that some vehicles have extra features. For instance, KIA Soul only requires you to switching on the fog lights after you have turned on the lamp on the rear of your car.
Toyota Corolla, on the other hand, can give you an instant flash by simply pulling the lever and promptly releasing it. These steps will be comprehensively discussed below. Quite easy!
So, to know how to turn on your fog lights with very convenient steps, continue reading.
Turning Your Fog Lights On With These Easy Steps
This section contains instructions to turn on the fog lights. As mentioned above, fog lights are primarily utilized to improve your visibility when you find yourself navigating a bleak road.
Natural factors such as fog, rain, or snow can affect the condition of your environment.
Technically, fog lights are not part of the vehicle but these are actually secondary lights situated in front of your car and are directly connected to your primary headlight system.
Thus, in order to make them work, your ignition, headlight as well as tail light should be switched on.
1. Turn On Your Ignition.
You can do this by simply turning your key. This will power up your battery, thus enabling you to open the other attributes of your car: wipers, head and tail lamps, as well as stereo among others.
2. Switch On Your Head And Tail Lights.
The indicators for this are located on the control arm or control panel near the steering wheel. Normally, this are set in the ‘Off’ position. Simply rotate it to turn it on. Ensure that those lights are on low beam to make your fog lights work.
3. Twitch The Inner Ring To Switch On The Fog Lights.
Somewhere near the steering wheel, there is an inner ring. It is in particular on the turn signal lever. Simply twitch it and this will turn on your fog lights. If you only want a flash of high beam, twitch the lever towards you and promptly release it.
4. Shut It Off After Use.
Fog lights normally consume a large amount of electrical battery, so for practical purposes, you may only want to use it when absolutely necessary.
How To Turn On Fog Lamps For Some Model Car
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Mazda 2
- Toyota Corolla
- If your car is Mitsubishi, its front fog light shares the same settings with its front and back lamps. Meaning to say, if the headlights and tail lights of your car are turned off, your fog lights most probably is turned off.
- To switch it on, simply turn the fog light lights to the ‘ON’ settings after you have switched the two other lights on.
- If your car, on the other hand, has a Daytime Running lights, you can easily switch the fog light on by turning the knob. This will work even if your lights switch is stationed in the ‘OFF’ settings.
- For Hyundai Santa Fe, instead of switching on the headlights and tail lights, you have to first turn on the park light.
- After turning on the park light, you can now press the light switch of the front fog light.
- Remember that fog lights normally consume a great quantity of your car electrical power, so only use it when absolutely necessary.
- For Mazda 2, turning on the fog lights simply requires having the ignition on. To switch it on, simply rotate the fog light switch to this position.
- Like Mazda 2, Nissan Maxima shares the same command when turning on the fog lights.
- For Toyota Corolla, there is a lever near the steering wheel for you to control the amount of beam and switch on your fog lights. First, turn on the light situated in front of your vehicle.
- Next, simply thrust the lever away from you. This will automatically switch on the high beams. To turn it off, simply twitch the lever towards you and position it in the center.
- If you only want a flash of high beam, the trick is simply twitching the lever towards you and promptly releasing it. Whether you have your headlights on or off, by simply pulling it close and releasing it, you can get a flash of instant high beam.
The Last Thing You Need To Remember
As an integral part of a vehicle, fog light is chiefly used to improve your visibility. Fog, haze, rain, snow, and all other pertinent factors may blur your environment, and this is precisely where fog lights perform its designated function.
Generally, all vehicles require the both front and back lamps on before switching on the fog lights. It is noteworthy to consider that fog lights consume a large amount of electrical battery, so it would be best if you only use your fog lights when the situation absolutely demands it.
If you enjoy the article and have comments and suggestions, feel free to drop yours in the comment section. We would love to hear some feedbacks from you.
You may also share this article to your friends so, like you, they would also know how to turn on fog lights in less than 10 seconds.